Sat. May 18th, 2024

PORTALES FIREWORKS CANCELLED

Portales (KSEL) – The Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce have announced that the 2020 Portales fireworks display has been cancelled. Executive Director Karl Terry said the decision was extremely tough but based on the updated public health order announced by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham on Thursday, mass gatherings are still not allowed, encouraging this cancellation. Terry said the money raised so far will go toward next year’s show and with more raised next year the show could be even bigger and better. Terry ended this announcement saying that the Chamber wants everyone to get through this pandemic and economic crisis safely.

Full press release:

May 29, 2020
For Immediate Release
Contact: Karl Terry
(575) 356-8541

Portales fireworks display cancelled

The Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce announced today the 2020 Portales fireworks display has been cancelled.
Executive Director Karl Terry said the decision was extremely tough but based on the updated public health order announced by Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham on Thursday, mass gatherings are still not
allowed, necessitating the cancellation.

“The Chamber and our local public safety folks all agree that the ability to keep families distanced from each other would be very difficult if not impossible,” said Terry. “The prudent thing is to cancel the public show and let folks have their own celebrations at home this year.”

Terry said the money raised so far will go toward next year’s show and with more raised next year the show could be even bigger and better.
“We know budgets for businesses and individuals will be tight in the coming months and fundraising for fireworks at this time isn’t a great idea,” said Terry. “We want everyone to get through this pandemic
and economic crisis safely.

About Post Author