NEW WATER BENEFIT PROGRAM TO ASSIST LOWER INCOME HOUSEHOLD
A new water benefit is available to help households with water and wastewater costs, announced the New Mexico Human Services Department. The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary, federally-funded water assistance program for low-income households to help offset the costs of water and wastewater bills. Payments will be made to vendors on behalf of households.
Eligible households may receive a benefit of up to $1,500 each, to pay for reconnection of services and for arrearages. This includes all past due amounts, reconnection fees if applicable, and associated late fees. Customers who are current with their water and wastewater bill and meet the eligibility requirements may also apply for the benefit. New Mexico will prioritize eligibility for households without water or wastewater services due to a disconnection, and those in imminent danger of disconnection.
Low-Income Households will need the following to apply:
- Most recent copy of your water and wastewater bill, within the last 30 days.
- A recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your current gross income.
- Documentation showing income from Social Security, unemployment insurance, pension funds, disability, etc.
- Final Water Termination Notice (if you have received a shut-off notice from your water company).
- Proof of present address (e.g., rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill).
- Proof of total members living in your household (e.g., birth certificates, school records, etc.)
- Social Security cards (or numbers) for all persons living in your household.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.
Households may apply online for LIHWAP at www.yes.state.nm.us or by phone at 1-800-283-4465.
For more information about the program visit: https://www.hsd.state.nm.us/lookingforassistance/low_income_home_energy_assistance_program/