Wed. May 22nd, 2024

Eastern New Mexico Rural Telephone Cooperative – Plateau among those receiving grant

CLOVIS (KSMX)- U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced millions in ReConnect Program investments that will bring high-speed broadband internet and increased connectivity to thousands of people living in New Mexico’s rural communities.

As one of the three awards announced, Eastern New Mexico Rural Telephone Cooperative – Plateau received $19.2 million.

Plateau released a statement stating, “while we are proud to provide broadband to 90% of our cooperative members, thanks to the RUS Reconnect grant, we will be able to provide broadband to the remaining 10% of our cooperative members.”

The project will be built in areas where the population density is six or less per square mile and where agriculture is a major economic driver.

Plateau will not terminate voice or internet service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due to the disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Plateau has put guidelines in place that include offering a 25% discount for internet and voice services to any residential or small business customers who have experienced a significant financial impact, such as loss of income. To help facilitate learning, Plateau will provide free service for two months and waive all installation fees for new internet service to any student with insufficient broadband at home, as determined by their school district.

About Post Author