CLOVIS (KSMX)- By order of the New Mexico Governor, Clovis Municipal Schools will be closed for a period of three weeks, from March 16 through April 5, as a measure to slow the spread of COVID-19.
During this time all facilities will remain closed to the public. Additionally, all scheduled meetings and events are canceled, and school-affiliated services are suspended, with the exception of student meals. The state is waving the statutory requirement for instructional hours which means the Districts will not need to make up the 10 missed days due to the closure.
Clovis and Portales Municipal Schools have announced the following information:
During the closure, essential personnel only will report to work in order to clean facilities and to prepare and distribute student meals. Essential personnel have been identified as maintenance, custodial and student nutrition staff, and District administrators.
Per the Governor’s order, all District staff will continue to be paid during the closure period.
All other District staff are released from duty and encouraged to follow social distancing recommendations issued by the New Mexico Department of Health, which includes refraining from travel and attending gatherings. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s travel guidelines provide country-specific information: Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel.
GRAB AND GO BREAKFAST AND LUNCH MEALS FOR STUDENTS:
Both Portales and Clovis Districts will continue to provide breakfast and lunch available to students, free of charge, between March 16 – 20 and March 30 – April 3.
- Students do not have to go to the school they attend to participate, so they may access the school site most convenient to them.
- Students must be present to receive a meal.
- All school cafeterias, with the exception of the iAcademy at Lincoln-Jackson, will be open for food pick-up for anyone 18 and under from 8 – 11 a.m.
- iAcademy students will go to the school site most convenient to them.
- Meals will be distributed at the rear entrance to each cafeteria.
- Students will receive breakfast and lunch at the same time.
- Modified menus will be posted to the District’s website at: www.clovis-schools.org/…/2020/SECONDARY-MIDDLE%20MARCH-APRI…
- Meals will not be provided between March 23 – 27, which is the week of Spring Break.
- During the school closure, beginning March 17 – April 3, Portales Municipal Schools will continue to provide meals to its students.
- Student meals are free of charge to all students during the school closure.
- Younger siblings who are not in school can also receive free meals.
- The meals will be served as “grab and go” meals. This means students and siblings may come to one of the two designated school cafeterias and pick-up a breakfast and a lunch to take home for consumption.
- Meals can be picked up between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Meals will be available at Portales High School and Linsdey Steiner through the west cafeteria door to pick-up.
FOLLOWING THE CLOSURE
As of now, all school-sponsored events occurring at district facilities, including athletic and extracurricular activities, are canceled through the end of April.